Year 6 Transition
How we manage the transition to secondary school
At Lister Community School, we believe that a student’s ability to enjoy and achieve is best enhanced by a smooth transition between each key stage. We need to sustain, in our young people an enthusiasm for learning, confidence in themselves as learners and a sense of achievement and purpose.
It is therefore important that transition is well planned; in stages and that we should not expect new students to cope with a huge change in teaching organisation and style all at once. Learning at Lister Community School needs to build on what the student has achieved in his/her primary school. It is also vital that students are able to attend a school in their community.
We aim to ensure a smooth and effective transition from primary school to Lister Community School, in order to help all our young people to feel safe and happy, to have their needs met and to ultimately fulfil their true potential. We aim to achieve this by:
- Offering staff and students in partner primaries a range of opportunities to visit our school
- Ensuring the swift, efficient transfers of data and information from primary schools and its dissemination to all our staff before the start of the new academic year
- Ensuring that data is used by Lister staff to plan provision, set targets, monitor progress and provide support
- Ensuring parents have named contacts and built in opportunities to communicate with their child’s tutor
- Listening to student and parent voice through the use of questionnaires and focus group interviews
- Fostering a caring and reassuring environment
We start this process early through a number of planned visit/transition days in March-July prior to the September start at school for Year 7 students. Details of key dates will be provided nearer the time.
Further information for parents, carers and students will be available below.
Free School Meals
All students in Newham receive free school meals at Primary level. When your child joins secondary school, you will need to check your eligibility for this and apply if needed. This has to be completed through Newham, and is not something that we can process as a school. Please visit this website for further information on how to do this: https://www.newham.gov.uk/schools-education/free-school-meals/2
Students Starting Lister in September 2024
Before submitting a year 7 application we strongly recommend all families read the 2024/25 edition of the local authorities‘ Starting Secondary School’ guide in order to find out more information about the school(s) you are interested in. If possible look at their virtual tours. Further information on the admissions process can be found here.